Jessy – Just As You Are Single
Jessy is a solo artist and songwriter from Tamworth/Birmingham UK. Jessy is known for her powerful vocals, emotive lyrics, and soundscapes within her songs. She grew up learning piano from her mother who was a music teacher. She started writing and performing in her Church youth band and went on to study BA Hons Song writing at BIMM Birmingham; she is in her final year.
Jessy played during comedian Patrick Monahan’s live gig at Soulton Hall. She sang at the Sutton Coldfield Boldmere Christmas lights switch on. She also had the opportunity to sing for and be coached by Will Young during a University Masterclass. Her singles have made an appearance on radio shows such as BBC Introducing and Switch Radio for new upcoming unsigned artists.
Jessy has always been crafty and loves to interact with her fans. She has been giving away handmade bookmarks with each new single release and has loved the responses from her fans!
Today we had a chance to interview Jessy about her journey into the music industry and her freshly released single, “Just As You Are”.
- How did you first get into music?
My Mother was a piano teacher so I have grown up around music. I began writing songs and performing in my church youth band.
- What instruments can you play?
Piano, a little guitar and some violin (badly haha) my main instrument is my vocals.
- Where do you see your musical career in 10 years?
Hopefully successful, loads of releases under my belt, gigs and a community around me who I can help inspire and support through my songs. I want to make a difference.
- Which instrument is your favourite to play?
Vocals all the way, I love a good riff!
- Which instrument is your least favourite to play?
Guitar, because I get easily frustrated, I am learning to play better but it takes time…
- What would you say is your greatest strength as an artist?
Lyrics are my passion. I love being able to write from the heart, words that could touch a thousands lives as if each one was written specifically for each person.
- What would you say is your greatest weakness as an artist?
Confidence and comparison. I feel like we all look around us and see where other people are at and feel like we aren’t doing enough, but it’s important to acknowledge your own journey and be proud of where you are.
- Who is your favourite musician?
Sara Bareilles is a kick ass songwriter haha! Shane and Shane two artists within my own Christian genre are amazing musicians and songwriters, they inspire me loads. As does Steffany Gretzinger.
- What is your proudest accomplishment as a musician?
Two moments stand out the most. My first proper gig, it was at a beautiful house and grounds (Soulton Hall), I performed in the gardens and the sun shone and it was brilliant. And the first time I sung one of my own songs live, it was in Cyprus during a summer holiday.
- What interests or hobbies do you have outside of music?
I love to Bake! I make some mean cookies.
- What is your creative process when making music?
INSPIRATION! As soon as Ive learnt a life lesson, been touched by an act of kindness or anything I write it down in a song. I normally sit at my piano and sing whatever comes out!
- Tell me about your top performances.
I once sang for Will Young so that was pretty awesome!
- Take me through how the song idea came about, the writing and production process.
This song as well as the others within this album release came about during lockdown 2021 in the summer. It is centred around my faith as a Christian and was inspired by the Pilgrims Progress story, if you haven’t read the book I would recommend. Just As You are is a call for honest authentic worship and the loving voice of God calling people to know His unconditional love for them…just as you are….
- Who would you most like to collaborate with artistically?
Dolly Parton or Sara Bareilles
- Who has been your most influential teacher or mentor?
- Have you ever taught or mentored another musician?
Not professionally but I would love to one day help someone out in the same place I am now. The music industry is tough so we Gotta help each other right!?
- What was your worst performance?
I forgot my words on stage once, but who hasn’t! Haha
- How do you deal with disinterested or unruly audiences?
I feel like self confidence goes a long way, I know who I am so you gotta let stuff like that fall off your back. I think a good laugh at yourself always helps too.
- Do you prefer to work alone or collaboratively?
Both! I love the solitude of just me and the music, but I love the creativity that flows from groups sessions
- What are your favourite venues to perform at?
Soulton Hall and anywhere outside haha
What inspires you as an artist?
My faith is my number one inspiration. It’s the reason why I sing.
How do you nurture your own creativity?
Rest! To take time away from the piano and tend to my garden (Ive just started growing veg) baking or spending time with the fam. Also cuddles with my two lovely doggos.
Do you have trouble with performance anxiety?
Oh definatly, I had a singer tutor tell me that nerves are good because it means you care.
- What are your favourite musical genres, and are there any you dislike?
I love Contemporary Christian, Country, Contemporary Musical theatre and pop rock, jazz. Im not a fan of metal music but I apprentice the craftsmanship of those who do play it.
- How do you differ from most other artists?
I guess I’m just me. There is no one else like me and there never will be again.
- How do you think of your previous song comparing to this newly released?
I think previously my songs have been fuller and leaning toward prog rock with a country twist. This song is straight from the heart and is simple yet powerful and honest. I hope as you listen you come…Just As You Are.
- Kanye West Officially Marries Bianca Censori, Tells Her To Never Speak Again: Report - 8 October 2023
- Steve Harvey Allegedly Scared Of His Wife Majorie Harvey - 10 September 2023
- Amber Rose Proves She’s The Ultimate Baby Mama On Wiz Khalifa’s Birthday - 10 September 2023