Listen to Magic song by Jonathan Lobo
Magic is the first song he wrote in 2021. It is about someone that brought excitement, purpose and inspiration into his life. The song tells a story of two people from the excitement of their first meeting to their individual resulting evolutions. The lyric “5 more minutes” was something she would say all the time. Over time, the context in which those words were said changed as did the relationship. However, the impact and magic of those words will always remain.
The production follows the catchy guitar pattern with reversed cymbals, claps and alternative snare sounds keeping rhythm. The breakdown during the bridge provides a nice contrast to the rest of the song and when overlapping with the chorus at the end creates great ease and flow.
Jonathan Lobo, is a Dubai based musician that writes music to tell stories of love, life and other commonalities. He returns with “Magic” after receiving praise from bloggers, playlisters and music lovers for his last song “Start Again” which was also featured on Spotify’s Fresh Finds.
Today we had a chance to interview Jonathan Lobo about his journey into the music industry and her freshly released single, “Magic”.
- How did you first get into music?
Music was always playing in my house as a child and so I developed a love for it. My parents enrolled me into piano lessons at a young age and after performing on stage for the first time, I was hooked.
- What instruments can you play?
I can also play a bit of drums, ukulele, bass and I’m currently learning how to play the guitar
- Where do you see your musical career in 10 years?
Still going strong with more music out that I enjoy making and performing and that people enjoy listening to.
- What would you say is your greatest strength as an artist?
I love music and I’ve been told it shows when I play or sing. If I’m happy and have good energy on stage then an audience is bound to feel the same.
- What would you say is your greatest weakness as an artist?
Lack of experience. There’s plenty for me to learn about songwriting, promoting my music or performing it. This is something I’m working on and learning from each new experience.
- What is your proudest accomplishment as a musician?
I’ve performed at few cool places in Australia like the Hi-fi in Brisbane or Burj Al Arab in Dubai. But being playlisted by Spotify India earlier this year was pretty awesome.
- What interests or hobbies do you have outside of music?
Sports, Fpl, working out and psychology.
- Take me through how the song idea came about, the writing and production process.
I wrote the chorus of the song first and it’s based on a girl I know that would say those words to me when I had to leave her presence. It made me feel special. The rest of the song developed around our story from the vibrancy of our initial meeting to how our relationship developed. The breakdown was unintentional but added a nice pass to the looping chorus at the end.
The song was first written on keys and then transferred to the guitar. The production elements all play around the catchiness and rhythm of the song.
- Who would you most like to collaborate with artistically?
I’d love to work with a rapper to create an Eminem type track or with a guitarist to create something melodic.
- Do you prefer to work alone or collaboratively?
I’ve mostly worked alone with a producer so far. But I think it would be cool to collaborate with other artists and have a few plans in the works.
- How do you think of your previous song comparing to this newly released?
Magic is very different to my other releases in its vibe, tempo and theme. It’s more pop, upbeat and groovy. The chords and arrangement were kept simple to allow for the catchiness to stick.
- What are your favourite venues to perform at?
I love small and intimate venues.
The KAVE at Al Serkal is a favourite.
- What inspires you as an artist?
Life, love, nature, people and their stories.
- How do you nurture your own creativity?
I try and indulge in different art forms. I find that being around creative people is great motivation to create. Listening to different genres of music, playing different instruments or even appreciating other art forms triggers my creativity.
- Do you have trouble with performance anxiety?
Sometimes, when I’ve not performed for a while, I do get nervous. But I enjoy the initial nerves and rush of adrenaline one gets before performing. Once I get going I’m usually in my happy place.
- What are your favourite musical genres, and are there any you dislike?
I love all genres of music and in different languages. If it’s good music, it’s good music. There’s always a mood that fits a certain genre of music.
- How do you differ from most other artists?
I work full time as a lawyer so music is something I do out of a passion for it. This may differ to some full time artists that have to be more crowd pleasing. I feel that this can detract from an artists identity and his/her authentic stories.
Don’t forget to follow him on Instagram as jplobomusic.
See also: Emerging UK Artist KØASH Manumit ‘Dominoes’ Song
- Marlon Wayans Says JAY-Z Has Never Invited Him To Roc Nation Brunch - 20 March 2023
- 6ix9ine Nearly Hit With Beer Can At World Baseball Classic Game - 20 March 2023
- Nicki Minaj’s Toned Tummy & Thighs Get Plenty Of Praise On Instagram - 20 March 2023